Thursday 11 December 2008

Touchdown

Ok – my first post from the US this time round… First of all, thank you so much to everyone who has helped us get here, either by cleaning, lending us household items, looking after the children, or just praying for us. Your help and support is so appreciated.

Despite the best attempts of a Monday morning M25 to thwart our plans, we made it to Heathrow just an hour before take-off! We were all upgraded (to the ‘comfy seats’ as my children refer to them) and, although it was a bit close to the wire, we rushed through security etc and straight on to the plane. The flight attendants then proceeded to rearrange business class for us and moved various people to accommodate us. There were lots of nervous glances towards the children – I guess the passengers thought they were safe when there were no kids in the lounge!! I have to say that all 3 were so well-behaved (which is a miracle in itself so some of you must have been praying!) that it was a really good flight.

So, we are now ensconced in our Chicago pad (still a bit echoey due to lack of furniture). I have to say David made an excellent choice – it’s a fabulous house in a great location. I would be happy just to live in our enormous ensuite bathroom for the whole 2 years, but I guess that’s not really the point! We arrived to snow on the ground which turned briefly to rain yesterday but then we had another sprinkling overnight so the children are happy (except that it’s so powdery, the initial attempts at a snowman ended in tears!)

I have to say that it has been so different arriving this time – whereas before everything seemed alien, now it’s all familiar, even comforting – and we are starting to find our feet despite all the limitations of being an alien. Trying to get utilities set up, phone, etc is proving a challenge but it’s early days yet. The first hurdle is to get the children to wake up at a more human hour – it was 2am the first morning, 4am today. Not sure when this will get posted but I thought I’d write while it’s still fresh in my mind.

No comments: