Thursday 5 March 2009

Parenting reality check

So, I had a mountain of washing to do on Wednesday. My 3-year old is at home every day and mostly moans constantly while I do my chores until I agree to put the TV on ... This time was different, she was helping me and really getting involved telling me, "I need to learn how to do this, Mummy because when I grow up I want to be a Mummy and I want to be a great Mummy like you!". It really was very sweet, she helped me change the sheets then sat watching the clothes whirring around in the washing machine - toploaders are so much more fun! It was one of those days when you think, "Maybe I have done something right as a parent".

But then, reality hits..... I was relating the cute story to a new friend and when I'd finished, my son piped up, "But M, if you want to be a mummy when you grow up you have to get married first then have a baby.... or you could just have a baby and not get married..." to which my friend replied, "How very open-minded of you, Ethan!"


Grrrr!!!!

No comments: