Wednesday 28 April 2010

It starts....

My children are 8,6 and 4 but it's amazing how quickly they seem to grow up these days. And each new age/stage of their lives brings its own challenges.

This week it has been the challenge of 'bad language'. I've put this in speech marks because the words my eldest has used and been scolded for in the last week are not in themselves bad, but it's what they are a substitute for that I object to. So, here you go - here are the expletives in question......

  1. Shoot!
  2. What the heck!
  3. 'freakin'

I know, I know, I don't think my blog is going to be cancelled/moderated for offensive language, etc etc. Maybe I am just old-fashioned or fuddy-duddy but I just can't abide 'cuss' words and I don't want my children using them - especially when they are ultimately just softened versions of hardcore swear words and in many cases (tho not the above) blasphemy.

I do think this is in part a cultural phenomenon - I notice here in the US there are many more watered-down curse words. Don't even get me started on the Christian 'cuss' substitutes (Why, oh why do Christians need to have these to fall back on?).

This may well be one of those areas in which my children raise theirs differently - I know many people have no problem with such slang at all but I just can't get out of my heads those familiar words from Psalm 19 v 14 (ok, I admit it, via BoneyM)...

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer"

OK rant over. Sorry about that - but isn't that exactly what blogs are for?

No comments: