Tuesday 8 July 2008

Procrastination

This is a bit bizarre - I am putting off writing a proper, pen-to-paper letter to my mother and have ended up blogging instead! Why is it that it is so much easier to type than commit to paper? I have to admit the delay is partly inspired by 'I told you so'-ness as I did implore Mum to at least try and use email for the sake of keeping up with her grandchildren before we left. She assured me that she would (a) write, (b) phone and, in any case, felt that 3 months wasn't very long not to be in contact......... Hmmph!! Needless to say, Isabel's 6-year old school friends have proved more regular correspondents and the phone remains silent. I really will write - I had considered emailing a letter to my sister and asking her to post it because for some reason I now find it much easier to write with the help of technology but no, I will try and write a 'nice newsy letter'!!

Of course, it is true that there is nothing like receiving a crisp, hand-written letter through the mail. Interestingly enough, when I asked at the post office, they no longer sell the pre-paid aerogrammes I remember from my student days, so I guess I am not alone in my lack of epistolary communication.

The week is going by and this week, E & M are the summer campers so we are still doing a lot of driving, but they are having great fun so it is worth it... It's so hot and sticky we are struggling to sleep and then it's so light in the morning E is waking up at 5:30. He seems to have a cough that only bothers him early in the morning (read completely fake) which is so annoying. I think this at least in part answers the question of what Chicago locals do all winter long when it's too cold to go out - I bet they sleep loads!! Tomorrow I have promised to take Is out for a girlie day with her new BFF, Masha. It's going to include lots of craft, pizza and ice cream so doesn't sound too bad at all!

I realise that probably no one is reading this as most of you are in Brighton for the Newfrontiers conference. If you are around, do say hi (I'll accept emails or Blog comments in lieu of letters!), am starting to miss home and friends a lot.

No comments: