Tuesday 20 January 2009

Cookie, anyone?

I rather feel that I should have some profound comment to share on this historic day in history but this will probably disappoint! Maddy and I sat watching Obama's inauguration this morning and I did find it strangely emotional. It was fascinating watching all the living ex-presidents and their wives trooping in, stirring to see how many had thronged to Washington to witness the swearing in. We watched documentaries last night about the White House and Air Force One and it is incredible what a well-oiled machine the presidency is (and the enormous cost behind it all!) but what has really struck me is that we are just talking about ordinary human beings like you or me. I felt a bit sad for Laura Bush, leaving what has been her home for the last few years and also felt sorry (though hardly suppressing a smirk) for Dick Cheney unceremoniously being pushed in a wheelchair after injuring himself while moving into his new home - if ever someone has been dogged by his ill health, it's him!


I hope that Barack Obama will bring great changes to this country, even to the world. I celebrate the fact that he is the first African American president and this has hit home even more as I try and explain to my children just why his election is so significant. But ultimately, he is not the solution to the problems of the age and I think it is sad that so many put so much faith in a mere man. But it is surely an interesting time to be living in America, perhaps especially here in Chicago which, as Obama's home turf, has been the centre of attention for the last couple of months.


We are excited to be hosting our church group in our house for the next few weeks as we really start to pray to see God's plans for this great city and to reach out to those around us. As a family we are beginning to make contacts and the children are being invited to play dates and parties. With the first two birthdays of the year out of the way, we are beginning to feel a lot more settled in (and we are even getting used to the weather!). Now that we have our social security numbers and driving licences, D and I are feeling like 'real' people - which is good, as being an alien can be tough at times!


Here's a little glimpse of the Obama mania which has taken over ....


No comments: