Wednesday 7 January 2009

News from the Mid-West

I just thought I'd post an update about how we are getting on. There's nothing amazing to report (!) but we are plodding along and getting used to our new daily routine. Is and E started school on Monday and we've been very proud of them. In their own, individual ways, they seem to be getting along fine. Is came home bubbling with excitement at how many friends she had made, how she already knew some of the French they had done in her lesson and didn't stop talking for ages. E was quiet and had to have it drawn out of him but he seems to be enjoying himself, even though he can't remember the name of the boy he sits next to (or anyone else, for that matter!!!). He has been invited to a party next week so I'm really hoping this will be a good opportunity for me to meet some of the other parents.

The weather really thwarts any plans I may have had to make friends quickly - people drive everywhere, drop off and pick up the kids straight from their cars and basically stay indoors unless it's absolutely necessary venture out. I finally spoke to our next-door neighbour this morning (as oppose to waves from a distance) as we were both simultaneously clearing snow off the decks in our back gardens. She was in a rush to get to work but at least we spoke for a couple of minutes.... The morning routine is certainly a bit more rushed and I think will be a struggle once the initial novelty of new uniform has abated. I have to jump out of bed at 6:45 to breakfast the children and oversee them getting dressed as we have to be out the door by 8. I was always heard screaming, "Wees, shoes, coats" to try and hurry them along but now the list is endless - "Wees, snow boots, gloves, hats, trousers, coats (are your school shoes in your bag?)" somehow doesn't drip off the tongue as easily! Then there's the problem of clearing the snow and reminding E not to leave his shoes/gloves/hat at school and not to throw away the spoon with the yogurt pot, etc etc. I have found a spot where I can park the car and walk them up to the school door which seems nicer than flinging them out of the car door. At home-time I do the car pick-up unless there's a meter space available - $8 to park in the car park next door is a bit steep on a daily basis!

But then, after that flurry of activity, by 8:20 M and I are free agents with the whole day ahead of us. On Monday we dropped D to work after taking the older 2 to school. So we drove to the centre of the financial district on a Monday morning and got him there well before 9. That would never happen in London!!

Being January, it's birthday season so I am making a cake for Is today. M and I have spent most of the week sorting out practical matters so I haven't had a chance to feel too lonely but reality is beginning to hit as I realise it's not much fun being just the 2 of us - she really needs to be in preschool as she gets so bored when I'm doing all the mundane tasks that are necessary but not much fun, and then is distraught when I can't attend another Barbie birthday party! We joined a gym today so, once I can convince her that the kids club is fun, I am hoping to a) get a bit fitter and b) meet some people. There is a pool and a climbing wall so plenty of potential for family indoor fun and kids' swimming lessons. Who knows, I may really get into spin classes - there is one with a live DJ!

I'm still waiting for my social security number and this is holding us up as far as buying a car is concerned. We still can't decide what to go for but I think we may go looking this weekend. Our tenants move into our house this Friday so I'm really hoping that goes smoothly, it's been unsettling to think of it empty.

Right, time to make a masterpiece out of sugar fondant, watch this space for pictoral evidence!!

No comments: