Monday 28 July 2008

Lost in translation

I can't go any longer without drawing attention to the terrible language barriers still in existence between US and Queen's English. I have desperately tried to fit in and use the appropriate local expressions but so far with fairly disastrous consequences - I had to ask 3 times where the diapers were at the drugstore before the assistant understood what I was asking for. Same when asking for a strawberry ice cream. I was almost laughed out of town when I tried to buy a verruca sock for Is to wear when swimming - they don't exist here so I guess everyone just shares them. I thought I would summarise a few known and more unusual differences I have come across. There are a couple too rude to mention (but you probably know them already!)

sidewalk = pavement
bathroom = loo
faucet = tap
diaper = nappy
stroller = buggy
soccer = football
chips = crisps
fries = chips
bangs = fringe
candy = sweets
pants = trousers (this one makes the kids laugh every time)
wifebeaters = string vest (!!!!!!)
muffler = exhaust
'No solicitors' = no junk mail but makes me laugh when you see it written on doors!
Mom (don't even get me started but thus far my kids (aka children) haven't dared.........
And of course the ubiquitous vacation (holiday is just not understood)

The worst to stomach is when Americans teach their children to go to the loo they ask to 'go pee' which I just find too vulgar!! If my children need to blend I will just about allow them to 'go to the bathroom'.

And I think the most bizarre one I have come across was today when I was helping out at the Vineyard Summer Bible camp. They were doing the story of the 10 lepers and were referring to their sores as 'Owies' - it took me most of the day to work out what on earth they were talking about but I guess it's the equivalent of children talking about having a 'baddie' or something - ie 'Ow' because it hurts.

............Kooky!!! Or should that be goofy?!!!

Laters!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Emma,
I found your blog through the New Frontiers blogsite; hope you don't mind me reading about your life! I'm an American living in the UK, and I've experienced the direct opposite of what you have. This post made me laugh as it took me forever to find "trash bags" (or bin liners) at the grocery store here. When I asked for them, the woman was clueless as to what I was saying. I stil cannot say that I'm going to the "toilet" as that is really appalling to me. "Going to the bathroom" is much more polite - in my opinion. And my British husband says "I need to have a wee" which is absolutely embarrassing to me!! Both he and I have laughed (and struggled) as we've learned each other's vocabulary. So with most things that you've struggled with or have found to be improper, I have found the opposite to be true. It also took me a while to learn all the store names, brand names, British clothing/shoe sizes, cooking measurements, etc. I miss real Mexican/spicy food like crazy!! And I still don't drive much here at all; I'd rather walk than drive through a roundabout :) It took me about 6 months to adjust, and now over a year and a half later, things are quite easy for me. I'm no longer self-concious about my accent or my American ways; I don't even mind if people ask me where I'm from now either. My mom laughs when she gets Mother's Day cards that say "Mum", and my American family makes fun of me for the British words that I use. Really, in the long run, I wish everyone would have to live outside of their culture for a while as we really do grow and become more understanding of others when we're having to be the foreigners. Blessings to you and your family as you adjust to the States!!

Emma Hosier said...

NO problem, I'm glad you can relate. I have to say that the Mexican food is great. We love Chipotle! I still would say that 'going to the loo' is, I feel, the least offensive tho you could try 'powdering your nose' or 'inspecting the plumbing'!!!

Emma Hosier said...

Despite it saying David - that post was by me, Emma!