Thursday 29 May 2008

My kids are monsters!

Phew! Well, we are here in one piece and starting to settle in but still no internet at home which is a bit of a pain as I now feel very removed from everyone at home… We got here Tues night and everything went smoothly at the airport/car hire etc. We fell in to bed around half nine Chicago-time (half three in the morning UK time so we were completely shattered). The kids have been waking at 5 the last couple of days and resisting sleep so they are turning into the most horrible brats – not a good first impression! It’s hard because they are being dragged around the shops as we try to build up the essentials and jet-lag and excitement don’t mix too well when you are little. They are also refusing to eat pretty much everything which doesn’t help matters. We arrived to a wonderfully stocked fridge and kitchen, thanks to the leaders of Fusion. Good job as I have since completely failed to find a supermarket. America is full of massive retail outlets but there’s no advertising outside or on the roads to give you a clue as to what the shops sell so I am rather lost.

We discovered Target yesterday which was fab for stocking up on essentials like car seats, a kettle and an ironing board (amazing value at $12!!). The house is furnished and we have things like bedding and towels which is great but there’s little to no cooking items so I keep having to get things – tonight, for instance I thought we would have a simple omelette (as have yet to source fresh meat or anything more exciting!) but then realised that there is no bowl to whisk the eggs in!!!

I braved the downtown traffic today which was fun – we took D down to the office, driving alongside the lake for a more scenic route and then I had to get back on the freeway. I must at this point sing the praises of ‘Maureen’ our SatNav. We bought the US card before we left and it was amazing to land in Chicago, programme in our address and just follow the directions without even consulting a map. Wow!


……………………..

I am now writing this a couple of hours later and life is much sweeter already – internet is up, kids in bed and I have been to a proper supermarket and found Ribena and pesto sauce so hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better with the kids! I also started watching the Lost season finale but as the last episodes we watched were nearly 2 seasons ago it makes little sense.

Just checked my emails and Facebook so thanks to those who have been in touch – will try and get back to you all asap. xxxxx

No comments: