Thursday 5 June 2008

It's a rather sad indication of the busyness or modern life when your husband has to read your blog to find out what you've been up to!

Before I launch into my thesis for the day, I'm sure you'll all rejoice with me that my trash has just been collected! Hurrah!!

I am trying to get my head around how the whole 'at-home mum (ok, mOm)/'pre-school thing works here. I was feeling rather guilty about struggling with having all 3 of my little darlings at home, esp as my impression is that formal schooling starts later here (correct me if I'm wrong, Megan). However, yesterday's trip to the 'Y' was informative, to say the least. It seems paid babysitters in the day are the way to go, accompanied by very comprehensive summer camps to get you through the long summer months. I met a woman who had brought her son to the 'little Athletes' class E went to with Jethro. She had left her 1-year old at home with a babysitter so he could sleep while she took the 4-year old out so with babysitting fees, class fees and YMCA membership fees I make that 3 lots of money paid out for an hour's class. Ouch! babysitters are the way to go if you fancy a morning off or need to go shopping etc. Then the summer camps range from 1-8 weeks half or full days' entertainment, sports fun, etc etc but are exceedingly pricey to my thinking (some over $1k per child) then you have to add on your beach permits so summer is big-business in Chicagoland..................

Not sure whether to join the 'Y' or not - it's basically a sports centre with gym/pool/classes etc and a free creche where you can leave your kids for up to 4 hours a day. The younger 2 would probably enjoy the Kidzone but it's a bit boring for I and I can't help feeling I would just be dumping them. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a gym bunny!

E really enjoyed the little athletes class where he got to do basketball, baseball and some gym practice. As it was the last one of the course he received a medal which he is proudly sporting all day long!

Feeling rather sleep-deprived today thanks to an impressive thunder storm last night. The thunder wasn't especially loud but I have never known lightening flashes so close together - almost constant for half an hour. This may mean this afternoon's beach trip is postponed but you never know as the weather is so changeable here. Sometimes it starts off chilly then turns to blazing sunshine later on. Maybe I'll delay donning the bikini for a little while yet..........

No comments: