Wednesday 4 June 2008

Progress

How annoying! I got half way through an entry yesterday then went out and I thought it saved it automatically but it didn't. Pants! Can't really remember what I was going on about but I guess the general rule is that if I don't get the chance to write up a day that's probably a good thing for me because it means I'm not sitting around bored or tearing my hair out!!

I just plucked up the courage to go and introduce myself next door - with the excuse that I needed to know which day is trash day (bin day for you!). The landlady had said it was today so I dutifully put it out last night only to wake up this morning and realise I was the only one - talk about making myself conspicuous!! Anyhow, I now not only know which is the right day (Thurs) but also that Michael & Jenny live next door with their 3 boys. She has French family and is off to visit her sick grandmother in the Loire Valley next week. It's so bizarre what a small world it is in some ways - she lives in Loches where we holidayed a couple of years ago - not very far from where we were planning to go this year. I have to confess it made me sad momentarily that we will not visit Saumur this year - our first year in 10 we will not have been to France. Interstingly, Wilmette where we are living has a French heritage - it was originally Ouilmette - which I haven't discovered much about yet.

We went to the library where I can imagine we will hange out a lot, esp on wet days. It has an extensive childrens' section with toys, armchairs and computer games which kept them happy. We would have stayed longet if it had not been for a dirty nappy and an appointment with the plumber to come back for....

Last night we met together as ladies from church. I think it is normally a bible study group but last night was to pray for Chloe who has a chronic back problem which is exasperated by her pregnancy. It was so nice to start getting to know some of the ladies from the church. We also have the Gerdels (old friends of many of you) coming for dinner tomorrow evening so it feels like we are starting to settle in.

Today we are off to the YMCA (I KNOW!!!) where they run loads of classes and have free childcare (sounds promising) so will let you know. I know it sounds unlikely but apparently it's the place for families to hang out. Let's hope they don't take one look at Ethan in his Power Ranger costume and turn us away at the door.................

1 comment:

Gracious said...

Great to read your blog. Keep up the good work. I can hear your voice as you write which is brilliant. We are praying for you. I miss you xxxxxx