Saturday 28 June 2008

The kids have reached that lawless state that usually arrives around the middle of the summer holidays so we have decided we need a clamp-down on the discipline front, insisting on first-time obedience. It's hard work and I'm not very popular with them at the moment! They look like scruffy street urchins - constantly sandy feet and toussled, unbrushed hair - despite my best efforts to keep them respectable-looking! The American accents are coming on a treat and I expect Is to be fluent by the time she's finished summer camp next week.... We also have Independence Day celebrations to look forward to as it's July 4th next weekend. I think it should be lots of fun with kids' activities, food and fireworks.

I managed to humiliate myself in the gym once again on Thurs as I attempted a Step class for the first time in about 10 years. The class was called 'Step Surprise' and the surprise seemed to be that everyone else had been doing the same routine for years and had perfected doing it with minimal or, at some points, zero instruction from the teacher. I lost count of the times I ended up facing the entire class because we were supposed to be facing the back of the room and I hadn't caught up yet. Must point out tho that I still triumphed in the fashion stakes with my tucked-in bows!!! I think I am going to have to persist because it's the only chance for exercise I can get. I don't think I can face the only other available option which is jogging - the trend is to put your kids in a 3-wheeler buggy with the biggest front wheel you can find (we're talking Penny Farthing here) and then running behind them, pushing the buggy (sorry, stroller) out in front. My kids would be moaning after 5 mins quite apart from the hideous effort required (tho' I guess the requisite ipod would drown some of that out)!!

It's Saturday morning so I have to make pancakes in a minute, as it has become our weekend tradition. Then I think we will finally make it to Lincoln Park zoo as our attempt a few weeks back was rained off. Then Mummy gets some time out as I shall sneak off to the cinema later on for a bit of peace (I suppose I should strictly only get 36 minutes - 1 for every year of my life - but I think I've amassed enough credit over the past few weeks).

Catch you later........................ xx

No comments: