Friday 6 June 2008

Thirst Impressions

Last night we had friends to dinner so after D came home I rushed off to the supermarket to buy a roasting tin and pudding! I had wondered whether to change the menu completely as it has been so hot and humid the past couple of days I wasn't looking forward to having the oven on, but thankfully the air con is pretty efficient (downstairs, at least). I forgot to buy a bottle of win so ended up having to go out again a little later. When I got to 'The Bottle Shop', our local off-licence, I couldn't open the door and didn't realise that it had actually closed at 7pm until the amused manager opened the door for me and greeted me with, "Are you really thirsty?" So embarrassing that I will now be known as the local drunk!! Fortunately he was really friendly and has promised to introduce us to American wines. They do tastings most evenings so I think D may be taking the opportunity to get to know the locals by getting involved!!

I decided yesterday afternoon that the kids and myself weren't getting enough exercise as we'd been driving everywhere, so when the rain stopped we headed out on foot to the library and a park we hadn't yet visited. We were pretty much the only people on foot and, despite the fact that it was actually a relatively short distance, we were all wiped out when we got back. The heat combined with humidity is just so oppressive. It seems mad to be inside with all the doors and windows closed on a beautiful sunny day but until we get our beach pass there really aren't many other options.

I was reading through the summer camps booklet last night and discovered there is a cheer-leading one that Is could do - talk abut High School Musical! Still undecided as to whether or not to sign the children up.

I can't believe that we are almost at the end of our second week here - once we got over the first few nightmarish days, we seem to be settling in a bit more now and I feel like I am finding my feet. Still yet to see much of Chicago but there's plenty of time. I think the plan for tomorrow is for D to take the younger two to see 'Kung-Fu Panda' while I take M shopping. Our clothes are just too thick (even the summer ones) and poor D is sweltering in his suit on the way to and from the station. The trains and office are air conditioned but there's always the journey to cope with. Unfortunately this almost certainly means the dreaded chinos (many of you will be aware of my aversion to these)!

This weekend most of Fusion are at the Newfrontiers midwest regional celebration at Warrensburg so there's no Sunday meeting. We thought we would take the opportunity to visit the Evanston Vineyard led by Steve Nicholson. Fortunately for us, Sarah who does kids work for Fusion attends this church and runs the Sunday School so our children will have a familiar face looking after them. I'm hoping this means I will actually get to be in the meeting, not just checking out the kids' work.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. xxx

No comments: