Wednesday 18 June 2008

Wear those bows with pride!

When did we start tucking the bows on our trainers inside the top of the shoe? I ask because today at my gym class I realised that I was the only one who had done this as it obviously hasn't caught on as a fashion idea Stateside. It makes me laugh to think that I am the 'trendy' one. In fact I think I caused a stir last week wearing a spaghetti-strapped vest top which would be de rigueur at home - everyone else turned out to be more modestly dressed than yours truly. Whoops! Oh well, just goes to show that it's just not possible to 'blend' as, even when you don't open your mouth, you give yourself away as a foreigner. And a complete weakling - to my utter embarrassment today I could only do about half the repetitions of the arm exercises before my arms felt on fire. It's so unfair to have such weak arms when your maiden name was 'Armstrong'!!

After nipping home for a quick shower we finally made it to the beach - or at least, almost. To be exact we made it to the playpark above the beach - as you had to pay something ridiculous like $8 per adult and $7 per child to go to the beach if you don't have a pass. I think we have decided to go for the Winnetka beaches (there are 3) and buy a $100 pass tomorrow so the kids can finally get their feet wet. It seems that beaches can be closed quite a lot in the summer months due to nasty bacteria/ dirty water, etc which seems a little bizarre but I'm sure we can get over that.

Talking of 'blending', the kids have been making us laugh as they are starting to take on board the accent and local phrases. I will have to video them as it doesn't do them justice to write about but it's hysterical! We now have diapers, go to the bathroom and walk on the sidewalk. I'm actually secretly a little disappointed not to have heard much use of the 'F' word (the one that ends in 'anny') as I'd envisaged a blog on it's use but it's probably just as well!

1 comment:

Gracious said...

Great to hear all your news. Hope Maddy is feeling better. xx