Saturday 14 June 2008

Yesterday I was able to go and be a tourist, thanks to my lovely husband taking the afternoon off to look after the little monsters (who, naturally, turned into polite, sweet little angels for Daddy's benefit. Grrr!). I headed downtown on the double-decker train - had to sit upstairs of course due to the sheer novelty of it - and headed into Chicago proper. It was so lovely just to wander and take it all in. The only time I had previously been into the centre was on Day 2 when we took D to work and I was concentrating so hard trying to find the expressway out of town that I didn't have the chance to pay attention to the sights.

I walked down to Grant Park which houses the Art Institute of Chicago as well as some modern art structures which really turn the park into a great space used by locals and visitors alike. I must say at this point that I forgot to take both my camera and camera-phone so I will have to post some pics another time. The Art Institute houses an impressive collection of impressionist and post-impressionist works and it was fun testing my knowledge of the artists as I approached each one. The inside is being remodelled so sadly most of the Van Goghs and some of the Monets weren't on display but there were still plenty of wonderful paintings to distract me from the stresses of the week. It did make me reminiscent about times spent in France and also made me realise how rarely we actually get the opportunity to go and see art - the last time was the Orangerie in Paris last summer and before that the Velasquez exhibition in London. I might actually take the kids sometime as they seem to have quite a few activities aimed at youngsters and it would be a good introduction to some culture.

Once outside, it was fun to see the Frank Geary stage and the Cloudgate structure which looks like a giant silver coffee bean and reflects the skyscrapers and clouds above. Will definitely post some pics as it's hard to describe but very, very cool!

Next I headed for the 'Magnificent Mile' which is basically a mile of shopping malls and department stores leading along Michigan Avenue down to the John Hancock Tower which is the third tallest tower in the city (the Sears tower where D works is the highest). It was just nice to take in the atmosphere - Chicago is quite an impressive place visually - and wander across the many bridges over the river as it flows into Lake Michigan. The lake is so huge it really does seem like the sea and it's hard to forget that it isn't. I guess we'll notice it more once we get our beach passes and start bathing, though I've heard it is very, very cold!!!

We had a lovely family day today - back to the Botanical Gardens and swimming in the afternoon. The children were finally good enough for us to buy them some toys (always our intention as we didn't have space to bring much) so they are now very happy bunnies, as are we thanks to the stupidly cheap prices. I'm considering buying their Christmas presents before we leave as it would save a fortune! The only thing that blighted the day is that M has not been very well the last three days. She's had horrible diarrhea (horrible for me changing her nappies!). I thought it was better yesterday but it seemed to be back today. She's not at all unwell and is still her happy self but I'm a bit concerned she's not drinking enough to rehydrate herself so I would value your prayers. I think it may be something she ate (there is a salmonella scare over tomatoes, can you believe it?!) as no one else is unwell, but it's sad for her when she's so little.

Father's Day tomorrow and the kids have various plans for Daddy. We think we will probably head down to Lincoln Park zoo in the morning with church in the evening again. Is plans to teach everyone some of the songs she sings in 'Nicks' so should be a fun time!

No comments: